Monday, July 6, 2009

At least We're not Detroit

Detroit had so many layers that it is hard to touch on them all. I will just highlight the fact that this was the first city I truly saw without any statistics or words the effects of the economy. I have seen areas that had very little or are dirty and unkempt. These are hard to see. I have never seen row after row of factories that had no one inside or using them. Windows broken out and emptied spaces where cars used to be mass produced and jobs were available. The vacancy of buildings terrified me more in our drive into the city than anything I have seen in a while.

Then our group went to see the Hidelberg project. When the economy crashed in the 80s, many people left their homes because no one would by them and it was easier to leave than stay. The mad dash out of Detroit left broken down homes and tons of other items which could not be carried or moved to the owners’ new destination or residence. With that, this project takes these items and turns them into works of art. These pieces of artwork are displayed on the lawns of vacant homes and usually display strong political and cultural opinions.

The nearby town of Rossford gave me hope. Even with its economic struggle the community still thrives. After speaking with the city council our group saw their desperation to bring in more business and create more jobs for residents. The mayor also challenged our group to “Pay it forward.” Whatever kindness we have received across America, it is our job and our generations’ responsibility to pay it forward and help each other. I must admit I almost cried because so many people have let us into their lives and communities that now I feel like I can eventually pay them back by showing that same kindness to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment