Thursday, July 16, 2009

A Whole New World

This is a warning. The following blog might be highly sentimental.

Every trip has a song that inevitably gets replayed and sung to the point of exhaustion and frustration. Now, that said theme song, in my experience, is typically not a work of musical greatness. In fact, these theme songs tend to be near to awful in musical expertise. This being said, the theme song for this trip in my mind is “A Whole New World” by Aladdin and Jasmine.

A Whole new world!
A dazzling place I never knew!
But when I am way up here
Its crystal clear.
Let me share this whole new world with you.
(Don’t you dare close your eyes)!
(Hold your breath if its better)!

Now these lyrics are by no means the exact lyrics, yet they are the ones my fellow group members and I know and repeat often. I believe this song originated when we were on the Grand Canyon and Rashina said she wished she could fly over it on a magic carpet. From that literal high point on we joked about flying on a magic carpet off the Space Needle, Sears tower, and across America.

As college students the idea of taking a daring ride like a shooting star is still very appealing. Hence the whole 40/40 trip. Traveling or a wander lust is a dream for many young adults ever since Aladdin or Disney infiltrated our young minds.

Shaking my head with embarrassment, I realize this is my song for the trip across America. With that epiphany, I cannot help but think it is kind of perfect too. We have discovered a new world of adventure and wonder in our own country. Who knew our country had so much mystique and life!

We ventured very far and while we can go back to where we ought to be, each of us is a little different and changed. The trip has made America clearer to us as we flew by it on a magical ride which we might never imagined unless we had not trusted in the extraordinary (this is the cheesy part). After wanting to close my eyes and hold my breath during a majority of the 40/40 trip, I now see that coming back down to land is not so bad. And I can always close my eyes now to return to this ride of a lifetime!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment