Friday, July 3, 2009

Chicago?


The second day of Chicago threw me for a new loop. Our group ventured into several areas of the city from Wicker Park to Chinatown or to a upper class area. As the group dispersed I stumbled upon the most unexpected scene I had ever anticipated. My mouth dropped open because it was as if we entered a forbidden area or came upon a never-seen-before event.

A block party on the edge of Chicago’s inner city and near Wicker Park pulled our traveling band of gypsies into its all-American feel. Children rode bikes, jumped through sprinkler, ate watermelon, and played hopscotch. Parents drank beer and Coca-Cola, mingled with neighbors, and yelled at their rowdy rascals. A family band of three boys and a dad entertained the crowd that ate hot dogs, burgers, chips, and treats. Sounds of laughter and joy filled my ears, not because of a ballgame or holiday, but just because.

Now I have seen this on television, but never experienced a gathering of neighbors for a block party. To be honest, I despised my neighbors at an early age for shooting fireworks into our yard or letting their dog kill my cat, Tommy. So the idea this actually happens surprised me enough. But here we were in the big city with a small town atmosphere. The refreshment of their hula hoops, water works, beverages, and food seeped into me to make my day all the brighter.

Thank you Chicago for not being too big for community!

No comments:

Post a Comment