Sunday, June 14, 2009

I Can See Far and I Can't See Sheep...Navajo Reservation


Reflecting on the day at the Navajo Reservation with Leland Silversmith and his family the one aspect I cannot forget is the meal.
Not ever being this far west, my head will not stop looking up, and even on the drive in the van, when everyone was dead tired, it took me a second longer to actually doze-off because I could not stop peering out the window at the mountainous desert. Leland told us that New Mexico and Arizona is divided by the color of the mountains; New Mexico mountain rock is white and Arizona is red (different types of rock). We approached his house to meet his parents. After an introduction to his father we entered their family Hogan where they held church for other Church of God followers on the reservation.
The discussion led to them sharing tons of information about their lives which and into their kitchen. Leland’s mom, daughter and granddaughter. Navajo tacos made with home grown pinto beans, lettuce, and onions. Before we dove into our meal, grandpa or George Silversmith prayed in Dine, the Navajo language. As we ate grandma, Fannie Silversmith, showed us how she patted and formed the fried bread. “My wife is so smart. Navajo women are so smart. When we were replanted they learned to use new salts and ingredients,” George Silversmith declared while eating the fried bread with huckleberry jam made from huckleberries grandma had picked.
As I sat there and listened to them talk of how they prepared the food, I found myself thinking of how lucky I am. How lucky am I to speak to and receive cooking tips from a Navajo couple and family. Envying their peaceful atmosphere, authentic food, and connection to the earth and each other, I looked down at my half eaten taco.
I began to think of my own roots and family. How my grandma always discusses how she prepared our meal. How I had taken that information for granted. How I wanted to go back home to my own grandma’s house and listen more closely this time. How I too had a place where the earth meant as much to my family and me as the Silversmith’s did to them.
So as much fun as I am having and so privileged to have, I miss my family a little. Maybe it takes going away and seeing everyone else’s lives to realize the one that fits you best was always right around the corner. Thank you family and friends for giving me a home to remember and look forward to returning to!


What. What. East Tennessee!!!!!!

P.S. "We tried to sheep herd and are either really successful or moderately awful," says Ken Spring because they were already back at the house and didn't need us to herd them.

No comments:

Post a Comment