Monday, June 15, 2009

Paved Paradise and Put Up a New Paradise?...Vegas



Don't let this pic fool you of where I am. 40 states in 40 days, people. I am in the one and only Las Vegas. I must say many cities have surprised me, but this one was exactly what I pictured it to be. A place on sin and seduction as represented by the Treasure Island show. "The last seaman that came into my cove called me sin," exclaimed a female pirate in heals, latex, and fishnets after slapping her rump. So maybe if I was coming to Las Vegas to have fun in the night life it would be the place to be along with the 50.6% of other 21 and under who make-up their tourism department.
"Paved Paradise and Put Up a Parking Lot" runs through my mind as I write down facts that the Convention Center representative gave me.

1. Convention Center runs on 12% room tax which they receive 33%.
2. 232 million spent on marketing.
3. Room rates, food and beverage, and then gaming are the revenue source (in that order).
4. Las Vegas is number 2 in brand recognition.
5. 230 flights in and out a day from Southwestern.

It is increasingly interesting that this area has been completely commodified into this amusement park from France to New York, a playground for adults. "Why go anywhere else?" screams Las Vegas. We have made everything you need here. As much as I love the idea of international influence in my life, it is no where near the same as going to France or Italy.
A part of this trip is asking why do so many people backpack through Europe and not America. I beleive Vegas told me why. Europe has this history that we cannot produce as well as an antique quality that comes with time not money. A concept marketers or consumerism doesn't understand.
On the flip side so many Europeans and people around the world want to come to America. I see this as the idea that America and Americans try to portray. The thought that we have everything, are the best, and provide milk with a bit of honey. In a sense, we are this unattainable for Europeans and people around the country. We all like what it seems like we cannot have, so we put this commodity on a pedestal of perfection. It seems like many foreigners do the same as well as Americans. Yet, we still want to run off to Europe to backpack and see Italy, Greece, or France.

Wrapping up, I enjoyed Vegas and am glad to have visited. I also got married....wait....prop 8...never mind. Sorry, Jenni.

Catch ya later....

2 comments:

  1. Hi. I agree totally on the atmosphere of Vegas. we were there in March. Glad to have visited, but don't really need to go back. Europe, tho is a different story. Continue to enjoy your voyage and I'm enjoying following your blog. Thanks. Phyllis

    ReplyDelete