Monday, June 15, 2009

It's Hard to Play I SPY through the Tears...Salt Lake City

Salt Lake City didn't mean much to me as I stood in line to have my brand new MacBook fixed after it died. "Just leave me here," I remember thinking as I cried behind a sign at the Mac store while hiding from my group. Yes, I may be a child, but I worked hard all year to by a computer to use on the trip. Not before or after but during the 40 States trip. Pierce stayed behind attempting to cheer me up, but I must say singing "Big Girls Don't Cry" never helps to stop tears neither does hugs. Luckily, Mac gave me a new computer along with an upgrade to MacBook Pro. I am liking Salt Lake....

On a serious note, I had just had the best chocolate in the world for 2009 at Tony Camputo's. Unfortunately, I missed parts of the Mormon visit. I heard about some Jesus statue speaking to the group and I must say it creeped me out. When Pierce and I got there following our detour to the apple store, the only parts I really caught was a few Mormon facts and viewing the tabernacle. As I passed by the Disney esq. miniature homes with Mormon promotional videos I became a bit uncomfortable. It seemed like they were trying to trap me into this world where I would have a perfect home and life....?

On a completely opposite note the Tower Theater was showing a documentary called Outrage. It exposed several Republican politicians as being homosexual and their voting records being completely unsupportive of gay rights and issues such as: same sex marriage, Aids support, and hate crime prevention. The documentary gave verifiable evidence that such politicians were, in fact, gay or bisexual. Charlie Crist, Jim McCrery, Larry Craig, and more as well as documenting James McGreevey's statement "I am a gay American." After the film Kirby Dick, the director, did a question and answer period.



During the talk back some concerns were raised about outing these politicians. Even though coming out is a sensitive subject the director as well as most interviewed in the documentary feel that it is justified outing these individuals because they are hurting there own kind while lying about who they are. Its hard for me to get past the underlying fact that if they are gay they would not be in the position of power they are in. As if in some way it is an accepted prejudice to not support or acknowledge openly homosexual individuals in the political world (or other occupational fields). In fact, many people on the capitol hill are gay but not out, the movie states. The idea that these men and women must shun who they are and love in order to have power and pursue their dreams like other Americans is ridiculous. This also makes take part in activities such as prostitution in order to hide. Another side to this sad tale is the wives they marry in order to cover up their secret to the media.
In the end I wish people could just come out and be honest without this preconceived notion they are detestable for being Gay. This is a part of who they are and as James McGreevey says in the movie, "God loves who he is." Thank God for the bold.

Our group ended at Chanon Thai restaurant after a recommendation from a local (I didn't catch his name). All in all I decided it was a great day in Salt Lake City, UT. It seemed a combination of this growing socially aware younger generation that reminded me of my Nashville home as well as a taste of the mountains and East Tennessee. I could definitely see myself there someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment