Sunday, June 21, 2009

Keep Portland Weird

It must be said that I love Anthony Bourdain, so when I thought of Portland it made me happy because I had recently seen his episode there. Low and behold we ventured to a doughnut place where he had been, Voodoo. All I have to say is there were many suggestive doughnut names that I cannot repeat or retype, but mine was called the voodoo doll which was in the shape of a ginger-bread man, chocolate covered, and filled with raspberry (blood) filling. While the creations were very unique like a peanut butter glazed doughnut with bacon, I do wish the doughnuts were warmer. Many comparisons were made to Pancake Pantry as far as the line wrapping outside the tiny shop.

Please click the doughnuts
After this, we went around their Saturday open market where I bought some gifts (I will not share what just in case the receivers of said gifts are reading) and most importantly, a back rub. Astonishingly, I have lower back pains- not unthinkable since I am on the bottom tiered bunk, crawl to the back of twelve passenger vans, and grab clothing from my suitcase beneath our tour bus.

We spent two hours at the International Rose Gardens with thousands of rose types. At the gardens there were weddings about to begin and a group of us discussed marriage and religion. A general consensus taken from the group relayed that most of us wanted weddings outdoors and our beliefs are supposed to and have been challenged while in college.

The rest of our day was spent walking around Portland. I chose to go to Powell books and cafĂ© to relax. Dr. Spring also found a pair of women’s Campers usually in the hundreds of dollars but for thirty-two. In the line I spoke of having bad luck and each shoe was probably thirty-two dollars. The girl checking me out gave me a five-dollar discount and said it was for me to have better luck. With that, I must admit that I love Portland.

It seems perfect for a college student like myself. One girl with dreads, unimaginable color combinations, and a bike breezed past us. Someone mentioned she looked funny or out-there. I think sometimes even those people who take daring wardrobe chances that would be crucified on What Not to Wear might be really sure of who they are but in actuality maybe they are hiding in a costume with no clue of who they are. Like college students, this girl is just trying to find herself and her image. Portland seems an accepting place to discover who you are. Its progressive nature breeds or pollinates an atmosphere of community development and self-acceptance. As for my dread head friend, I hope she has found herself to love her bike-riding and bright colors, and if not, Portland will accept her whatever she chooses to wear or be.

Our day ended with diner at Salvador Molly’s where I ate Kying Kying Chicken and Casa salad along with bits of volcano cake, pina colada flan, and bread pudding that I scavenged from others. After getting home on the bus we settled down to write blogs and watch Twilight while blogging. Portland’s been good to my stomach, back, and entertainment needs. As a college student I give it a thumbs up, but for family fun there may not be too much to do as far as Disneyland, Graceland, or Dollywood entertainment go. More like a cool place to escape to and read. Thank you Portland and see you again! Hopefully soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment