Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Samwise Gamgee Moment...Little Rock


Samwise Gamgee Moment

I am a nerd and referenced The Lord of the Rings in my blog title because it was a must. In the beginning of this journey I informed the group that the furthest west I ventured is Memphis. Yesterday, we went to Little Rock, Arkansas, so in honor of my new record I must quote:
Sam: This is it.
Frodo: This is what?
Sam: If I take one more step, it'll be the farthest away from home I've ever been.
Frodo: Come on, Sam. Remember what Bilbo used to say: "It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."
After waking up and realizing I was not in the same state as when I had drifted into a deep slumber (best sleep ever because I am like a baby being rocked), I thought that this new city would not be very different from Memphis because it is still Southern and only a few hours away from Memphis.
Our first step onto the road within the city was to Central High School Museum. Sadly enough I knew very little about the Little Rock Nine and Central’s essential role within desegregation. One quote stood out to me as I perused the museum, “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has,” by Margaret Mead.
More than witnessing these Nine individuals committed to exercising their rights to American freedoms such as education, I also experienced the power of the media (also a committed group changing and molding the world). Other desegregation occurred during this time, but Central’s experience received national coverage. The Civil Rights Movement leaders used media attention to form a unified force of whites and blacks who sought justice and desegregation for all. Thus, the attention attained from the media allowed these Nine to have more of a voice to the masses and show to the world and nation the true view of racism and oppression. Many years, battles, and a museum later, these Nine have been elevated to hero or celebrity status at the museum because of their efforts and bravery similar to that of Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King.


Speaking of celebrities, Little Rock brings our 40 states group one more, “I did not have sexual relations…..” I hope you guessed it, Bill Clinton. After touring the William J. Clinton Library, I realized something that did not occur to me when I was the ripe-age of eight and he was in the office. Bill Clinton, regardless of what he did and how it was highlighted in the media, did a lot of good as president and more importantly, he is human. The first rule your mom teaches you is to tell the truth and don’t spoil your dinner with cookies. Like anyone else, we have all gotten our hand caught in the cookie jar and then, lied with crumbs on our faces.


This in no way excuses his actions, but it is interesting to know the power of the media which branded him and the public with a narrowed view of who he was and what he did for America. In the aftermath of the situation, Clinton and his PR team continually tried and still attempt to reverse the effects the Monica Lewinsky event had on his image by trying to improve his celebrity status with good media attention.
The day in Arkansas could give me three blogs worth of material. After my time at Graceland and the Clinton Library it is hard for me not to compare these two men. Both with monuments in their honor, both well loved at some point, both making mistakes, and both with memorials that do not acknowledge these mistakes. Why? What is it with not wanting to face our mistakes and problems but instead cover them up like a cat after a poop. Air it out and say, “Yes, we made this mistake and oppressed these people, or maybe, I lied but am telling the truth now or the pressure of being the King is too much for me to uphold without prescription drugs.” Why is it taboo to acknowledge these parts of our humanity in order to avoid repeating them, and maybe help each other through our problems even in our own communities? “Committed citizens can change the world,” I just believe it should start with a look at our countries past and our own individual one in order to honestly progress.

Try and catch me next time….

No comments:

Post a Comment